What To Do When In An Automobile Accident

Law Blog

When you are in an automobile accident, it can be very difficult to maintain composure. Your body is going to release a great deal of adrenaline, and the body might even go into shock. It is however very important that you maintain your composure and act logically. There might be a lot of havoc going on around you, but be sure to maintain your composure. There are a few different steps that you should follow if you have been in an accident. Here are a few different things that you should do when you are in an automobile accident.

Call Authorities

The first thing that you should do if you are able is call the authorities. When you call the authorities it is very important that you have a little bit of information for the dispatcher. The first thing they are going to want to know is the location of the accident. Be sure that you know the location of the accident. The more specific the better, and if you can give exact addresses this is going to speed up the process a great deal. The dispatcher is going to ask if anyone is injured, and most of the time you are not going to know for sure. Be honest with the dispatcher and say that you do not know. It is possible that you have even sustained injury and do not know it. The dispatcher may ask a few other questions, and the authorities will be on their way.

File Your Claim

The next phone call that you should make is to your insurance company. The insurance company is also going to ask you a few basic questions and it is important that you follow their directions carefully. They are going to ask you how the accident occurred, what the other individual was driving, and if everyone is alright. once again it is important that you are completely honest with the insurance company. 

Talk With Authorities

The police and the ambulance will get to the scene and will be responsible for any medical attention that you or any other passenger may need. The policeman will ask both driver's how the accident occurred, and then file a police report. If you feel that you have been injured or may need representation in court, you will want to call a personal injury attorney. It is best to hire a lawyer, such as from Helfand, David PA, sooner rather than later so you can be as accurate as possible with details of the incident. 


9 July 2017